Today we are going to be talking about walking shoes for high arches. I will reveal the top 3 for small, medium, and larger budgets, and also be pointing out my favorite pair of all time!
Shoes and sneakers have come a long way from the simple footwear they were just a couple decades ago.
The new generation of shoes are high tech, incorporating some of the newest technologies to make walking more comfortable.
And while walking shoes have not received the same consideration as running shoes, they are not in any way inferior.
In fact most walking shoes that can be found in the markets have a lot of the same technologies under the hood as a sneaker.
Now, arch support is a very contentious issue among walkers and runners alike.
This is not without reason as the foot’s arch is an extremely important part of your foot that helps to decide how you walk.
What is a Foot Arch?
The foot arch is an important and integral part of your foot and helps support the body weight when you are standing up.
An optimally developed arch is crucial to ensuring that your feet do not experience too much strain when you are in an upright position.
This ability to absorb shock is called pronation, which refers to the foot’s natural ability to roll inwards when you take a step.
However, in some cases, the arches can either under, or over develop, which can lead to problems.
Every person will have any of three different types of foot arches –
- Normal Arch – The foot has an arch which can distribute the weight of the body more or less perfectly between all the different muscles. People who “pronate” normally can wear neutral cushioned shoes.
- Flat Arch – Also called flat feet is a condition when the arch of the foot is insufficiently developed, this causes them to over-pronate where your foot rolls outside far more than required. As the arch is insufficiently developed, your weight will not be properly distributed when you stand, walk or run, which can increase the chances of injuries. People with flat feet can correct their condition by wearing support shoes.
- High Arch – A high arch can cause your feet to suppinate, or under pronate where your feet does not compress enough while standing which can lead to greater shock traveling up your feet causing strain and damage when you are walking. People with high arches require a softer midsole so that the weight of the foot can be equitably distributed.
The Top 3 Best Shoes for High Arches
So you were unlucky enough to be stuck with an arch which is higher than normal?
No problem! There are plenty of shoes out there that can provide you with the required cushioning so that you can walk properly.
The best shoes for high arches provide you with the required cushioning so that your feet’s inability to deal with your body weight is neutralized.
Here are some of the best shoes for high arches…
VIONIC with Orthaheel Technology Walker (Larger Budget)
Vionic was founded by Phil Vasyli who saw that there was a real need for walking shoes that were designed exclusively for hard and uneven surfaces.
Vionic shoes are thus some of the most well cushioned that you can find in the market.
The Vionic is the perfect walking shoe for you if you are suffering from pain in the knees, legs, feet or back.
The Orthaheel Technology Walker is one of the best shoes to have come out and is the perfect companion for your walks.
Here are some of the Orthaheel Technology Walker’s salient features:
- Premium, full-grain, water-resistant leather uppers and action lacing system.
- Lightweight, flexible EVA midsole absorbs shock, reducing stress on feet, ankles, and knees.
- First Ray Technology assists forefoot mobility and gait efficiency.
- Flexible and lightweight rubber outsole with patterned tread helps improve traction.
- Rubber outsole with flex grooved tread provides traction on a variety of surfaces.
- Footbed features an antimicrobial top cloth to control foot odor.
The Vionic with Orthaheel Technology is the only shoe in the market which is recommended by the American Podiatic Medical Association, as well as by Dr. Andrew Weil, celebrity fitness trainer Juliet Kaska.
This is enough proof that these are the one of the best walking shoes for high arches.
For its price, you can be assured that you will find a good shoe that can help you through your daily walking.
Saucony Women’s ProGrid Integrity ST2 (Medium Budget)
The Saucony ProGrid Integrity ST2 is my all time favorite walking shoe for high arches.
It is truly a phenomenal shoe!
The Saucony Women’s ProGrid Integrity ST2 with its full grain leather upper and its excellent rubber sole is a great walking shoe for high arches, and its simple lines also makes it perfect for everyday use. Saucony has also provided their patented Stretch Zone for additional comfort.
The ProGrid Integrity ST2 has one of the best arch support I have ever seen in a walking shoe!
You get one of the smoothest heel to toe transition in these shoes.
In fact, people who have tried these have said that the shoes have substantially increased their ability to walk thanks to greater comfort and better cushioning.
Others have said that they do not get plantar fasciitis that they used to get in previous shoes.
Here are some of the features that the Integrity ST2 has to offer.
- Stretch zone in the forefoot
- Full grain leather forefoot
- Visible rearfoot Grid system
- HRC impact and forefoot zones
- XT-900 and blown rubber outsole
The shoe is well made and accurately sized.
The shoe’s rear foot grid system is an excellent addition and does a fantastic job in helping you execute a perfect heel to toe transition.
The toe box has enough depth for wider foot without looking overly big.
These are perfect shoes that are both highly functional and stylish making them one of the best walking shoes in the market.
Asics Gel-Foundation Walker 3 (Small Budget)
The Asics Gel Foundation Walker 3 is the successor to the ever so popular Foundation Walker 2, and it is a pretty good upgrade all around.
The Walker 3 comes with a leather and synthetic mesh upper that is both breathable and offers plenty of protection against moisture.
The SpEVA midsoles which are designed to keep your midfoot stable and prevent breakdown, are some of the best midsoles that you can find in the market today.
These shoes are absolutely a pleasure to wear and if you have a high arch, then the ample cushioning that these shoes come with will provide all the support that you require.
The GEL cushioning system on these shoes also provides best in class protection, especially if you are walking on hard surfaces, and provide some of the best shock absorption at the initial impact phase and the propulsion phase.
Here are some of the best features that the Walker 3 offers:
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Cushioning Systems: Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle
- DuoMax Support System: A dual density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically
- P.H.F. (Personal Heel Fit): 2 layers of memory foam line the collar and mold to the athlete’s heel, creating a personalized fit
- SpEVA Midsole Material: Improves bounce back characteristics and decreases midsole breakdown.
The updated version of the Gel Foundation offers all the benefits that you require in a walking shoe for high arch.
Its excellent support and cushioning makes walking on almost any surface a breeze.