Congrats, you have decided to start a walking routine, or you are simply continuing your current walking routine and you are now looking for a quality, solid pair of walking shoes.
You have come to the right place, and in just a moment we will be reviewing with you the best womens walking shoes on the market.
Finding the best walking shoes for women that are well built, comfortable, supportive, will stand the test of time, and has an attractive price tag can be tricky. That is why we have done the work for you and have narrowed it down to the most popular walking shoes on the market today.
Our Picks for the Best Walking Shoes for Women
- Brooks Addiction Walker
- New Balance WW847V2
- Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2
- Vionic Walker
- Asics gel-tech Walker Neo 4
We will go into great detail in the reviews below, but for those in a hurry, here are the top 3 out of 5 on our list of the best walking shoes for women.
#1. Brooks Addiction Walker – is one of the best womens walking shoes to ever hit the market. It provides excellent arch support and motion control, great comfort, and is built to last a long time.
#2. New Balance WW847V2 – If you are looking for a more stylish walking shoe that is very light on your feet and provides excellent comfort, then you should check out the.
#3. Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 – If you have a smaller budget, but still want a high quality walking shoe that is packed with great features, then you should go with the.
In a rush? Click a topic below to skip down to it…
Table Of Contents
There are simply too many kinds and types of walking shoes for women on the market today. Most of them vary in styles, designs, structures, materials and other features.
Whether you are walking on a treadmill or along your favorite neighborhood route, having a comfortable pair of walking shoes is going to make your experience a lot more enjoyable.
Before you buy another pair of walking shoes, we suggest you read over this article so that you can make an educated and sound purchase. This is information 99% of people who walk do not know or pay attention to, but is critical to your physical health!
Below we reveal the 5 best walking shoes for women, including the top choice of all. We will be sharing walking shoes for all different budget sizes, so there is a great walking shoe recommendation for everyone .
But first lets talk about why buying the correct walking shoe is so important.
Why Walking Shoes are Important
There is so much more than just lacing up just any pair of athletic shoes and having them feel comfortable.
Doing this alone increases the change of bone, tendon, and muscle injury, especially if this shoe that is so comfortable is not specifically designed for walking.
There are body movements, impact zones, and specific gait cycles associated with walking, therefore walking shoes are very different from running shoes in many ways, which is important to note.
It is quite unfortunate that some people think that they are the same, because walking shoes have specific properties designed for the action of walking and running shoes are engineered for the act of running, which are two totally different actions.
Aside from that, there are other factors that you need to understand before you buy them.
Specifically, the process of finding the best walking shoes for women can be divided into three (3) phases. These phases are about the following:
1. Knowing what walking shoes are versus just any pair of running/athletic shoes (we have just done that for you).
2. Looking for the top 5 models or brands that serve the purpose of your needs. If you have flat feet, then you need to get a walking shoe made for flat feet, if you have wide feet then you need to look at shoes that come in wider variations, if you live somewhere it rains a lot, then you might want to go with a waterproof walking shoe etc…
Many people do not know that there is a shoe out there for almost any type of feet, and matching your feet up with the correct pair should be your goal.
We advise you to look for shoes that are already popular among walkers. Take some time and read down through some of the reviews on the product page, you will gain a lot of valuable information on whether or not that particular walking shoe is a good fit for you.
3. Check to make sure the shoes you are considering have good reviews. Reading through some of the reviews will give you a lot of information that the company might not tell you on their website or in their description of the shoes.
The Difference Between Walking Shoes and Running Shoes
When choosing the best shoes for walking, first and foremost, you need to understand first what is meant by walking shoes.
You can define it in reference against the other types of shoes like running, cycling, trail walking and even sports-specific kinds. Since this type is commonly mistaken as the same as those for running, we are going to compare them.
At first, they may look very similar when they are placed side by side on the shelf or rack when we buy them from department stores. However, running is completely different from walking.
Consequently, there are different mechanics on our body moves when we are walking or running.
Hence, what this means is that the built, features and designs of the shoes should be matched to how they are going to be used or according to their purpose.
On the one hand, when we are walking our weight is rolling from our heels. This is through the ball and it continues to our toe.
Aside from that, there are some points that both of our feet are on the ground when we are walking.
Hence, this makes our weight divided into two.
On the other hand, however, running puts 2-3 times our body weight to one foot. There are also times when both of our feet are not on the ground.
So, when one foot gets contact to the ground, the pressure will be greater.
As you can see it is not wise to just use walking shoes when you are running and vice versa. You wouldn’t wear ice skating skates on a roller blade hockey rink would you?
You just need to understand that picking the right shoes for the specific activity where you are going to use it is vital. This is in order to lessen or even prevent possible discomfort, as well as injury and other problems on your feet.
Things to Consider Before Buying
Now, the third phase of finding out the best walking shoes for women is listing down the things that you should be considering. Among these things include the following:
What is your arch type/how much arch support do you need?
What is your level of pronation?
How long will you be walking/on your feet?
What is your budget?
Do you have any previous injuries that you need your shoes to tend to (plantar fasciitis, bad knees, bad back?)
Ok, now onto the shoes …
The 5 Best Walking Shoes for Women
Now that you have understood the difference of walking shoes from running shoes, it is now the time to know the best options.
Our top 5 choices are the Brooks Addiction Walker, the Vionic Walker, Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2, New Balance WW847 V2, and the Asics Gel-Tech Neo 4 womens walking shoes.
The #1 Best Walking Shoe for Women – Brooks Addiction Walker
We are going to start with quite possible the best women’s walking shoe to ever hit the market, and our #1 recommendation.
This shoe is none other than the Brooks Addiction Walker for women.
And the best part about it is that you can get your hands on these for a very fair price.
Who should buy these:
These shoes are not only popular among walkers, they are commonly worn by those who are in professions where they are on their feet all day long, such as nursing. These walking shoes are for someone who is looking for a very comfortable and supportive walking shoe.
If you have any type of foot issues such as wide feet, flat feet, foot pain, or bunions, these are going to be one of the best options on the market for you.
What walkers like most about this pair of shoes is the amount of comfort and support as well as the fact that it promotes the most natural walking motion in an athletic style, and it’s durability amazing.
Aside from that, the following are just among its major features:
- HydroFlow Technology – Provides exceptional cushioning to your midsole, and the dynamic gooey fluid units that have been placed in the heel and forefoot not only absorb shock, but also provide great comfort to your feet. No body wants to walk mile after mile in a shoe that is uncomfortable. Brooks knows this, and this technology addresses that. The comfort provided by this technology is excellent through your entire foot, toe to heel.
- Full Length Innovative MoGo Midsole – Gives you a ton of cushioning while provide a very stably cushy feel. This feature provides even more comfort, making these shoes great for long walks, and great for those who are on their feet a lot.
- Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar – Creates great stability and support due to the dual density post at the arch or your foot. Stability is very important in a walking shoe. There are a lot of steps taken, which means there is a lot of room for injury. This support system makes sure your feet are secure and stable through every step of your walk.
- Engineered MC Pod Configuration – Designed to place your midsole and outsole in a perfect position which enables great motion control and flexibility through your entire gait cycle from heel strike to toe off. This feature really gives the feel of a smooth, athletic motion throughout your entire walk.
- Slip Resistant Outsole – Gives you great traction on any terrain in any conditions. This means if it is wet out, or you take your walking routine off pavement and onto a trail, there will be minimal slipping, which reduces the risk of injury.
- It is highly durable, which makes it a very good investment since it will last very long.
Very comfortable even while walking long distances or standing for long periods of time. Good arch and heel support. These shoes are constructed extremely well, are very durable and will last a long time.
Not very stylish and only come in two colors – black and white. The price may be a bit on the high side for some people. Some people have experienced squeaking after wearing for a while.
FINAL VERDICT: If you are on the market for an excellent, fair priced walking shoe and want to experience pure luxury and comfort while walking with a shoe that will last for a long time, then we highly recommend you buy these for your feet and body!
And if you are on your feet all day at work – you must have these.
So there you have it, a quick, down and dirty review on the Brooks Addiction Walker for women!
These are some of the best all around walking shoes to hit the market.
Here are just a few of the great reviews and praise these walking shoes have received…
The #2 Best Womens Walking Shoe – New Balance WW847 V2
The New Balance WW847 V2 is the successor to the popular WW847. This is a very light and comfortable walking shoe that comes with a lot of great features for serious walkers.
These womens walking shoes are also a bit more stylish than some of the others we have discussed.
New Balance has been producing great walking and running shoes for a long time, and they have produced a high quality walking shoe in the WW847 V2.
Who Should Buy these Walking Shoes?
These are a good choice for those who walk a lot and desire a lot of comfort. These are also going to be a good fit for those who are looking for stability and motion control throughout the entire gait cycle, due to the rollbar posting system.
The WW847 V2 come with a breathable mesh upper along with lightning dry technology in the lining, so if keeping you feet nice and cool and dry is important, then these walking shoes will be a good purchase for you.
The toebox is roomy, making these shoes a good choice for those with bunions, or toe issues.
Lets take a look at some of the great features this womens walking shoe comes with:
Phantom Liner Technology – this is a seamless liner and upper that allows for a very comfortable wear by eliminating uncomfortable seams that can cause friction and irritation while walking.
Ortholite Foam Tongue, Collar, and Heel – this is a very lightweight foam that is odor resistant and extremely breathable. This is packed throughout the shoe, providing complete comfort across your entire foot.
ABZORB Technology Midsole – this is the midsole cushioning system that provides comfort to your midsole. It also provides great compression set, which means the midsole forms to your foot very well, providing added comfort, support, and stability.
ROLLBAR System – this is a posting system that helps greatly with stability by reducing the amount of rear foot movement throughout the gait cycle.
Breathable Upper and Liner – made to keep your feet nice and cool while wearing.
Ndurance Rubber – this helps with durability. This special rubber is placed at high wear areas on the shoe, preventing the shoes from wearing out as normal shoes would.
More stylish than some of the other options we have discussed.
Very lightweight and comfortable walking shoe.
Very breathable and great ability to keep your feet cool.
Good stability throughout entire gait cycle.
Comes in different widths – narrow, medium, wide, and extra wide.
Roomy toebox that is nicely padded.
Comfortable right out of the box – no break in period.
May run a little small, it is recommended that you get a ½ size larger than usual.
A little higher priced than some of the other options we have talked about.
Due to the breath-ability, these walking shoes will not keep your feet as dry in rain or wet weather as some of the other shoes.
Some have mentioned that the arch support is moderate, but they come with a removable insole, so if this is the case you can insert one with a little more support.
These are decent looking walking shoes, that pack a ton of comfort and other great technologies, making them one of the best walking shoes for women on the market today.
If your budget allows, and you are looking for true comfort while walking, then these walking shoes are for you.
If breath-ability and keeping your feet cool is important, then these are the shoes for you.
The WW847 V2 are a well made shoe that offers exceptional comfort and stability while remaining very lightweight.
Here are a few comments from those who own the New Balance WW847 V2…
The #3 Best Womens Walking Shoe – Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2
The Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 is yet another extremely popular womens walking shoe with over 925 five star reviews.
This is a great walking shoe that is packed with features that walkers have fallen in love with, and the price tag is is a nice bonus as well 🙂
Who Should Consider the Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2?
These walking shoes are for neutral walkers who required a roomy forefoot area and a comfortable heel area.
These womens walking shoes have also received tons of high praise from those who underpronate (supination).
The Integrity ST 2 are also going to be a great choice for those who have high arches, as well as for those who have bunions, as there is plenty of room in the toebox. They also come with a “forefoot stretch zone” which allows you to walk comfortably with bunions.
Many walkers who have had trouble finding good walking shoes due to their wide feet have finally found a great fit with these shoes. You can get them in narrow, medium, wide, and extra wide.
These shoes will also be a good choice for walkers who want a great shoe but do not have a large budget or do not want to spend a lot on their shoes.
Finally, as with the other shoes we have talked about, these will also be a great option for those who are on their feet for a good portion of the day.
Some Key Features of the Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2:
CMEVA Midsole – this is a compression molded EVA midsole that provides you with responsive cushioning and is very durable and lightweight.
HRC Forefoot – made of a responsive EVA compound, this feature is designed to enhance cushioning in your forefoot area during the later phases of the gait cycle.
Heel Progrid – a special heel that protects against heel impact, meaning a lot less stress on your heels with every strike.
Walk-Trac Technology – this feature allows for a smoother transition throughout the gait cycle.
XT 900 Rubber – this is a very durable material that is used in high wear areas so these walking shoes will last much longer.
Premium Sock Liner – provides you with a comfortable in shoe experience.
Diabetic Friendly – means there is nothing in the shoe to irritate your feet.
These walking shoes come with a friendly price tag when you consider all the features this shoe packs.
Very comfortable with a roomy toebox and comfortable heel area.
Good durability with the XT 900 rubber in areas of high wear.
Smooth and comfortable throughout the entire gait cycle.
Comes in a variety of widths – narrow, medium, wide, extra wide.
Lightweight and flexible walking shoe.
Some have mentioned they take a few wears to break in.
Only comes in 3 colors.
Not very stylish, but the comfort and features make up for this, unless style is your #1 priority.
The Saucony Progrid Integrity ST 2 are one of the most popular and best walking shoes for women you will find in this price range.
These shoes are great for those with foot problems such as high arches, bunions, and heel issues.
Don’t let the price tag fool you, these are a high quality pair of walking shoes that provide great comfort and durability that will stand the test of time.
Here are a few reviews from those who own these walking shoes…
The #4 Best Walking Shoe for Women – Vionic Walker
Coming in at number 4 is the Vionic Walker walking shoe.
This is another walking shoe that has received tons of positive reviews and is one of the most popular walking shoes of all time.
Who these shoes are for:
The Vionic Walker is for someone who wants great comfort and support, and requires a little more arch support than the Brooks Addiction. These will also be a better fit for someone who want a more stylish walking shoe that comes in a variety of colors. If you have toe issues such as bunions, these shoes offer a lot of toe room.
These walking shoes are going to be a great fit for those who walk daily for long distances. As with the Brooks Addiction, this shoe is also great for those who are on their feet all day at work, such as nurses.
These shoes are also going to be a good choice for those who suffer from knee and back pain.
Those who have Plantar Fasciitis have also noted that they have seen great improvement from wearing these walking shoes.
This shoe is an excellent light weight option for a motion control walking shoe with major focus on your bodies health by incorporating walking strike path technology as well as a strategic, supportive cushioning.
The Vionic Walker is an all around solid, well-built, well-thought out walking shoe.
The following are some of its specifications:
- Breathable mesh lining that has moisture wicking capability – This is a comfortable inner lining that will allow you feet to breath, keep your feet feeling cooler, and keep them nice and dry in order to prevent any rubbing or friction against your skin.
- APMA Seal of Approval – The AMPMA is the American Podiatric Medical Association, and these shoes have received recognition and their seal of approval as being an excellent shoe for you feet, bones, ankles, and health.
- Water Resistant Full Grain Leather – This will prevent your feet from becoming soaked for those times you get stuck in the rain while on your walk.
- Comfortable and Cushioned Tongue and Collar – This feature provides a very snug and customized fit feeling as well as complete comfort throughout the gait cycle.
- Flexible Medium Density EVA Midsole – This is a lightweight midsole that has been designed to absorb as much shock as possible which in return dramatically reduces the amount of stress on your bones, ankles, tendons, and muscles.
- Firm Heel Counter – This feature is made to make these shoes great for all day wear. The firm heel counter is made of thermoplastic and is designed to provide a significant amount of added support and stability.
A very comfortable shoe that has a spacious toe box. Comes in 4 different color variations. Provides great stability through the gait cycle from heel strike to toe off. Offers very good foot support throughout the entire shoe.
Provides excellent arch support.
It is an great shoe for those who are on their feet all day.
Has the APMA stamp of approval.
There have been a few complaints that the inserts were a tiny bit hard, but if you feel this way you can always throw some padded inserts into them.
As with the Brooks Addiction, these are not the greatest looking shoes, but they are a little more stylish than the Brooks.
FINAL VERDICT: If you have a little extra cash for you next pair of walking shoes, then this is simply one of the best walking shoe that you will find on the market.
This walking shoe is very durable and will last for a long time to come, so the higher price tag does should not bother you as much, knowing they will be lasting you for years as opposed to cheaper models that can be purchased.
If you are a hardcore walker, someone who is on their feet all day, someone who has Plantar Fasciitis, or someone who suffers from knee and back pain, you will know your money is well spent by purchasing this walking shoe.
Here are what a few owners have to say about this walking shoe…
The #5 Best Walking Shoe for Women – Asics gel-tech Walker Neo 4
Lastly, our 5th choice is the Asics gel-tech Walker Neo 4.
Successor to the very popular Gel Tech Walker Neo 2, the Neo 4 is a solid upgrade.
Who these are for:
These are for someone who wants a quality walking shoe, and who has a medium sized budget. They are also a stylish walking shoe, so someone who pays attention to how their walking shoes appear may like these better. These will be a good fit for someone who would not consider themselves a “hardcore” walker, as they are not quite as durable as the other two options.
This shoe has been specifically engineered to provide an extra smooth heel to toe transition that takes place during walking. Compliment that with a gel cushioning and you have a walking shoe that will make your feet feel like they are on vacation.
This is a very comfortable shoe that has been designed to work naturally with your own personal stride.
Here are some of the Asics Gel-tech Walkers key features:
- Bipmorphic Fit upper – to prevent rubbing, irritation, and buckling. This upper brings comfort and a secure fit, showing just as much importance to the top of your feet, as shoes usually do to the bottom. Often the top of the feet is overlooked when buying a pair of shoes. This upper has brought great comfort to the tops of your feet.
- Comfortably padded tongue and collar – that secures a snug fit. Coupled with the upper, this tongue and collar combo increases the amount of comfort provided to the top of your feet. It has a very secure, stable, comfortable and snug fit.
- Impact Guidance System (IGS) – supports and enhances your foots natural gait. Support throughout the entire gait cycle is important when walking a lot. Just having support in one area just pushes the potential issues to another area. This system provides a smooth transition through all motions every step of the way.
- Trusstic System – greatly reduces the weight of the shoe while retaining great structure and support. This shoe is light thanks to this integration. Having heavy shoes that feel clunky can lead to injuries. A lightweight shoe that still has great support makes for a much more safe and enjoyable walking experience, and this is exactly what has been done with this technology.
- DuoMax Support System – a midsole that is constructed from dual density foam which increases support and stability. Midsole support is just as important as heel and toe support. Without proper midsole support, you may be subject to arch problems, such as fallen arches and other tendon/muscles problems. This midsole support system provides great support and ensures your arch area is properly taken care of.
- Solyte Midsole Material – an extremely lightweight midsole that provides extreme comfort and durability. This is the comfort of the midsole. As you can see this shoe has a great mid support system coupled with a great mid cushioning and comfort system.
A quality walking shoe for a cheap price. They are a stylish shoe that packs a lot of comfort. These shoes offer a lot of room in the toe area for added comfort. They are lightweight, so you do not feel bogged down during your walks.
Due to the mesh upper, these are preferred to be worn in warmer/dry weather. Will not last as long as the 2 options above. There have been some complaints that these shoes have too low of a profile.
FINAL VERDICT: Do not let the low price fool you.
This women’s walking shoe has the feel of a more expensive shoe, just not the price tag of one.
Asics have hit a home run with this walking shoe! If your budget is a little tight these days, then this walking shoe is for you.
Here are a few reviews from walkers who own this shoe…