Are you struggling to find a good pair of waterproof walking shoes that are ACTUALLY waterproof and do not just claim to be waterproof?
Have you purchased a pair of walking shoes in the past that you thought were going to keep your feet dry, only to find out in the middle of a downpour that they do not keep your feet dry?
If so, you have landed at the right place. In a minute, we are going to share with you in depth reviews on the 5 best waterproof walking shoes that are on the market today.
Our Top Picks for Waterproof Walking Shoes
- Clarks Wave Trek
- Merrell Waterpro Maipo
- Mephisto Niro Allrounder
- Merrell Capra Bolt Waterproof
- Keen Terradora Waterproof
Waterproof shoes come with a variety of features, so it is important to select a shoe that has the features you need.
For example, if you are someone who needs great breath-ability, or someone who likes to take your walks offroad onto trails, then the Merrell Waterpro Maipo will be a good choice.
If you are looking for a stylish waterproof shoe that you can hit the trails with or hike in, but also has a slim build and is not clunky like most trail or hiking shoes, then you want to check out the Keen Terradora WP.
If you are looking for a walking shoe that you can wear everyday, or wear out to eat and will look good with jeans, then you should go with the Clarks Wave Trek.
If you are someone who has major foot problems and a lot of pain, then the Mephisto Niro Allrounder will be a great choice.
In a minute, we are going to give a detailed review about each of the shoes above, but first lets talk in general about waterproof walking shoes and what you should look for in a good pair of waterproof walking shoes.
If you are in a hurry, you can click a topic below to skip down to it…
Table Of Contents
Waterproof shoes are designed to take you through urban puddles, trails, and ever the worst downpours all while keeping your feet nice and dry.
A water proof walking shoe is far more durable than regular walking shoe and is designed to protect your feet and ankles from infection and injury.
Do know that just because a shoe has waterproof written all over its label, it DOES NOT necessarily mean that your feet won’t get wet.
A lot of shoes claim to be waterproof, when in reality they do not keep you feet wet when walking in rainy conditions.
Waterproof walking shoes are made from more robust materials so that they do not break down with repeated usage like regular walking shoes would when exposed to similar conditions.
When you are shopping for a good pair of waterproof walking shoes, it is advisable that you know that they come as both full waterproof shoes or JUST with waterproof uppers, which is the part of the shoe that is above the sole.
There are many different brands and models out there and in this article we will discuss three of the most popular products on the market today.
What Is A Walking Shoe?
Just as trail shoes are different from regular shoes, walking shoes are a very different breed from regular shoes and even running shoes. They are light in weight and have adequate padding to get you through your walk without causing strain or any kind of trauma.
Often times people like to go in for running shoes thinking they are shooting two problems with one solution.
However running shoes are very different from walking shoes and will probably not help – they are heavier, and have slightly elevated and more padded heels to compensate for the sheer weight runners throw on the ground (about 3 times their body weight).
What to Look for in Waterproof Walking Shoe
Waterproof walking shoes are regular walking shoes which are made with or are simply sheathed with waterproof materials such as rubber, polyurethane or new waterproof fabrics like Gore-Tex (more on this later).
While using such materials makes waterproof walking shoes slightly heavier, it allows you to get past puddles and downpours with ease all while keeping your feet completely dry.
Now no doubt regular waterproof materials such as rubber and polyurethane are great for resisting moisture, but they also have a tendency to keep the moisture from your feet (AKA sweat) from escaping.
This can become very uncomfortable, especially if you are out hiking or need to walk for hours at a stretch.
Gore- Tex is a waterproof fabric which is also breathable allowing your shoes to resist the moisture outside, but also release the moisture your feet are creating thereby keeping them dry.
The material is also lighter in weight than its two counterparts and is readily being adopted as the waterproof standard in the shoe industry.
Top 5 Women’s Waterproof Walking Shoe Recommendations
There are quite a few gorgeously designed and functional walking shoes that are waterproof out there you can purchase.
Here are 5 recommendations that you can count on when you need to fend off the elements.
#1 Waterproof Walking Shoe for Women – Clarks Wave. Trek:
Trendy, light weight and comfortable, the Clarks Wave. Trek is one of the best and most popular pairs of waterproof walking shoes, and as you will see below has been receiving TONS raving reviews.
The Wave. Trek is a waterproof walking shoes that is part of the Wavewalk collection that Clarks is greatly known for.
Who these waterproof walking shoes for:
These shoes are for the serious walker who is looking for a very supportive and comfortable shoe to wear in wet conditions. These shoes are built very well and are for someone who is hard on their shoes.
If you feet require thorough support due to foot injuries or issues, then these will be a great match. They will also be a great match for those who like to hit the trails here and there.
It has been well thought out to and is can deal with virtually any condition out there.
Finally, these shoes are going to be a good choice for those who have foot problems due to its excellent comfort and support.
Here are some of the key features:
- Premium waterproof leather upper – Designed to provide a comfortable feel all while keeping your feet dry, through even the toughest and wettest conditions.
- Removable Ortholite Footbed – Provides great comfort and massages your feet throughout the entire gait cycle in every step.
- Flexible Rubber Outsole – Provides a great amount of durability, and is great for any condition including mud and trails.
- APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association) Approved – Meaning these shoes have received recognition as being good for those with foot issues.
They will keep your feet completely dry. They are very supportive and a rather lightweight waterproof shoe.
Great for off-roading and will withstand the roughest of wears.
These shoes come in a variety of colors and are stylish enough to wear casually with jeans. They also come in a variety of widths (narrow, medium, and wide), so there will be a great fit for everyone.
The comfort of these shoes is also very good, as well as a roomy toe box.
The price tag is on the higher end. There is a break in period of a couple wears. If you have high arches you may need to add extra insoles.
These shoes run a bit narrow, so if you have a slightly wider foot, then it is recommended that you get the wide version.
The Clarks Wave Trek is an excellent waterproof walking shoe, although it is a little pricey, it is well worth it and will last you a very long time.
If you can stretch for these, the Wave. Trek is a must have if you are looking for a shoe that will keep your feet dry during those wet walks.
These shoes are extremely popular, and as you will see at the link below they received over 450 positive reviews.
Here are a few comments from those who own these waterproof shoes…
#2 Waterproof Walking Shoe – Merrell Waterpro Maipo:
The Merrell Waterpro Maipo is a women’s multi-sport shoe which promises to make your time outside both comfortable and stylish.
This is a well built waterproof shoe that is great for walking as well as great for hitting the trails and doing some hiking.
Who should buy these:
These are best suited for someone who spends some of their time walking off road or on more challenging terrain other than cement. These shoes are made to take on all conditions and any terrain you throw at it.
Due to its superior build, these will be a good option for those who are a little tougher on their shoes than the normal walker.
These shoes are not only comfortable, but they come with many waterproof properties that will keep your feet dry during the even the wettest conditions. We will discuss some of the features below.
If you are someone who appreciates waterproof shoes that have great breath-ability, then these will be a good choice for you.
Some features of the Merrell Waterpro Maipo include:
- Ventilated mesh upper with drainage ports – the upper is made of a ventilated mesh as well as a synthetic leather. The upper also includes “micro mesh free flowing drainage ports” that allows water to drain off of the shoe.
- Ventilated footbed with Hydro drainage technology – this food bed has an ETC Anti friction lining that has been treated with an antimicrobial technology called Aegis. This footbed keeps not only keeps your feet dry, but also nice and cool due to its ventilation.
- Waterproof padded tongue and collar – made from Lycra and neoprene, the tongue and collar provide great waterproofing as well as a comfortable snug fit.
- Merrell Air Cushion midsole – these shoes offer pretty good arch support with its midsole support and cushioning system that includes nylon injection molded arch shanks.
- Vibram Water Pro TC5+ rubber outsole – this is an outsole that is razor cut, non marking, and is water friendly, meaning that walking in water you are going to get great traction with minimal slippage. This outsole is built for harsher terrain such as trails and rocks as well.
Extremely durable and suited for the harshest conditions.
Good for trails and hiking as well as regular walking routines.
Multiple drainage systems that add to its waterproofing abilities.
They offer good support and will keep your feet dry even in downpours. These shoes are lightweight and built to last.
These shoes also offer great breath-ability, allowing your feet to breath and stay nice and cool.
They only come in one color.
Some have complained that they are a little wide, so keep that in mind when ordering.
The Merrell Waterpro Maipo is a great walking shoe that will be sure to keep your feet dry. It is an excellent option for those who like to take it off road every once in a while.
These are a great waterproof walking shoe that also provides great breath-ability.
This shoe not only offers great comfort and support, but it is a very sturdy and well built shoe, which is good for those who are rough on their shoes.
Here are a few reviews from people who own this waterproof walking shoe…
#3 Best Waterproof Walking Shoe – Mephisto Niro Allrounder:
The Allrounder by Mephisto Niro is one of the cutest waterproof shoe design you will find on the market today, so if you are looking for a stylish waterproof shoe, this is going to be a good choice.
Who they are for:
They are for someone who wants a truly waterproof shoe that is stylish and great looking. If you suffer from a great deal of foot problems, surgeries, or pain then these are the best choice for you.
These waterproof shoes have received tons of praise and raving reviews from those with foot pain and serious foot problems.
They are very comfortable and offer a ton of support. They are for someone who requires a lot of toe box room as well.
Weighing at a mere 10 oz the shoe has new and improved ACTIVE SUSPENSION shock absorber technology which is great for protecting your feet and legs from strain and injury no matter how long you walk or which terrain you wish to traverse.
Its wind and waterproof breathable lining helps keep your feet dry in watery conditions while its rubber sole provides excellent traction and grip.
Here are just some of the great features this shoe comes with:
- Wind and Waterproof – made from a breathable mesh lining, these shoes are not only waterproof, but are also wind proof. This special lining keeps your feet dry and comfortable.
- Bi lateral stabilizers – strategically placed between the heel and forefoot, these provide great support and comfort through your gait. This feature provides complete comfort during long walks.
- Active suspension shock absorption – a technology that absorbs shock immensely, protecting your joints and bones from potential injury due to impact. This technology has such a great impact that it even helps absorb shock that can affect your spine and back area.
- Sturdy rubber out sole – for great traction and grip during wet conditions and on loose terrain.
- Anatomical foot-bed – this is a removable foot-bed that is well cushioned and provides a good amount of comfort. It also plays a big role in absorbing shock that comes with every ground strike.
Very stylish looking and they come in a wide variety of colors.
Both wind and waterproof. They are super easy to clean up and keep looking new. Very snug and comfortable feeling while wearing.
They provide a very smooth ride through the whole gait cycle. Great for painful and injury prone feet.
The price tag. Some experience ankle rubbing from the side for the first few wears. A few complaints of the material fading after a while. Other than that, there is not a whole lot of cons to this shoe.
If you are on the market for a stylish waterproof walking shoe that is top of the line, this will be your best option. Although expensive, the money will be well spent on a very well constructed shoe.
For those that have the extra money and have foot issues, these are a must.
These shoes are very popular and have been received very well by the market. These waterproof walking shoes have received over 475 five star reviews, making them one of the best waterproof walking shoes on the market.
These come in a large variety of colors, so finding a color of your liking should not be an issue.
Here are a few comments from those who own this shoe…
#4 Best Waterproof Walking Shoe for Women – Merrell Capra Bolt
Merrell has landed once again on our list of the top waterproof walking shoes. The Merrell Capra Bolt is a stylish and very comfortable shoe that keeps the water out even in the wettest conditions.
Who these waterproof shoes are for:
The Merrell Capra Bolt has great arch support, so these are a good choice for those who typically require orthotics and need good arch support. These shoes have received many compliments from those who wear orthotics, stating that with these shoes they are not needed.
These waterproof shoes also offer great support all around. If you like stability, or like to walk or hike on uneven terrain, then these will be a good fit.
These shoes also come with a high quality outsole that provides superior traction, making these waterproof shoes great hiking or hitting the trails. With that said, f you are someone who likes to hike or take your walks off road and not have to worry about traction, these shoes will get the job done.
Lets discuss some of the main features of the Merrell Capra Bolt waterproof walking shoes:
- M SELECT DRY – This is Merrell’s proprietary waterproof technology. This is a moisture wickening technology that keeps your feet dry during those rainy days.
- M Select FIT.ECO – This feature provides support and comfort in the footbed. It is a blended EVA footbed that is shaped to provide a comfortable fit. The material also provides odor control.
- Merrell Air Cushioning – This feature is located in the heel. It is an air cushioned heel that provides great comfort and does a good job at absorbing shock. In addition, this feature also provides stability in the heel region.
- Breathable Lining – The lining is made of a breathable nylon material that keeps your feet nice and cool.
- TrailProtect – This feature is a pad in the midfoot that provides comfort and protection from rocks and other bumpy terrain. This feature is great for trails and hiking.
- Select Grip Outsole – This is a very durable outsole that can stand up to any terrain. This outsole provides great traction when walking offroad and will not easily wear out.
- Molded Arch Shank – This shank is strategically placed in the arch and is made from nylon. It provides added arch support and stability.
Stylish waterproof walking shoe that comes in 3 different color combinations.
Breathable and does a good job at keeping your feet nice and cool.
Provides good support and stability for those offroad walks.
Is built to handle any terrain, making this a good shoe for those who like to walk trails or hike.
Lightweight waterproof shoe.
The sole is not as flexible as some people would like them to be. This is due to the fact they protect against tough terrain.
Not the easiest shoe to clean, you really have to take your time and do a little work to get them clean.
The Merrell Capra Bolt waterproof shoes are a well constructed shoe that comes with many great features. These shoes provide great support and stability and are perfect for those who like to walk offroad.
These shoes provide great traction and do a good job at keeping your feet dry. They are a stylish shoe that comes in a variety of colors. Merrell is know for making high quality shoes and that stays true with the Merrell Capra Bolt waterproof shoes.
Here are a few reviews from those who own these shoes…
#5 Best Women’s Waterproof Walking Shoe – Keen Terradora WP
Keen is another fantastic shoe manufacturer. The Keen Terradora waterproof walking shoe is a lightweight shoe that is extremely comfortable as well as very breathable. In addition to walking on roads, this shoe is also made to handle tough terrain, but at the same time is a nice and slim shoe. Many shoes that are made for offroading are clunky, heavy, and hard to walk in. That is not the case here.
Who should buy these shoes:
These waterproof shoes are for those who want a lightweight shoe that will keep their feet nice and dry on those rainy days. These are also good for someone who wants a slim shoe that they can take offroad on trails or on a hike.
The Keen Terradora is also for those who want a shoe that provides great breath ability for those hot summer days. While breathable, these shoes still manage to keep your feet warm when it is cold outside.
Finally, if you are after supreme comfort, then you should give these shoes a try.
Some of the key features of this shoe:
- Keen Dry – This is a textile membrane which is waterproof and is extremely breathable. This feature will keep your feet dry, no matter the conditions you are in. In addition, this feature provides added comfort to your entire foot.
- Dual Density Footbed – This is a PU footbed that is designed to provide comfort to your entire underfoot. In addition, this PU footbed also provides great support through your entire underfoot. This is a good feature for those who are their feet or walking for long periods of time.
- Cleansport NXT – This technology fights and controls foot odor and will keep your feet and shoes smelling nice and fresh.
- ESS Stability Shank – This is a support shank that provides stability and support. This is a great feature for those who need great support and stability as well as great for those who like to walk trails or go hiking.
- Breathable Lining- This lining is made of mesh and provides great breath ability to your feet. This features keeps your feet from sweating and keeps them nice and cool on hot summer walks.
- Contoured Heel Lock – This feature adds support and comfort to the heel area, providing a snug and secure fit throughout the heel.
- Non Marking Rubber Outsole – This is a high quality rubber outsole that includes 4mm multi-directional lugs that provide superior traction on even the toughest terrain. This outsole is non marking, meaning it will not leave marks on your floors or other surfaces. This outsole makes this shoe great for trail walking or hiking during dry or wet conditions.
Lightweight waterproof shoe.
Great shoe for trails or hiking, while at the same time offering a nice and slim shoe that is easy to walk or hike in.
Great breath-ability that keeps your feet nice and cool on hot days.
Excellent comfort in all regions of your foot.
Provides good stability and support.
Comes in a wide variety of color combinations (7 different color combos).
Some people have mentioned that these shoes were too narrow for them, so if you have wide feet, you may want to go with another option we suggested.
There have been some issues with the durability of the shoes upper. If you are rough on your shoes, you may want to get a more durable shoe.
Some state these shoes do require a little bit of break in period.
Seem to run a little small, so it is advised you order a half size larger than normal.
The Keen Terradora waterproof walking shoes are a lightweight shoe that is nice and slim. This is particularly nice for a shoe that is also made for offroading.
In addition, they are very breathable but at the same time keep your feet nice and dry. These shoes provide great comfort and come in 7 different color combinations. If you are after a comfortable waterproof shoe that has a slim build, then these are the shoes for you.
Here are what people have to say about the Keen Terradora…
Now you have a few less excuses to remain indoors during rainy weather!
For those nice dry days, be sure to check our review on the top 5 walking shoes for women.